Experience the unexpected! The Gallery of Steel Figures is the first place in the world where steel sculptures are made of elements from recycling scrap metal. Each figure requires anywhere from 1 to 8 months of work. The car sculptures require the most time to make; 4 craftsmen work up to 7,000 man-hours. In the Prague Gallery you can admire more than 120 exhibits over a 1500 square-meter area. Come not only to admire, but take pictures, touch each of the figures, get into each vehicle, and play with your favourite characters.
- Special health and safety measures apply. Learn more
Für Rollstuhlfahrer geeignet
- anytime between 10:00 a.m. - 09:00 p.m.
- Dozens of steel sculptures inspired by classics: movies, comics and cartoon characters
- Come not just to admire, but also touch, climb on and take pictures with the art
- History and legends of cars and motorcycles exhibited at a 1:1 scale
- All figures are exclusively hand-made from the recycling of scrap metal
- Looking for a special memorable? Choose from a variety of handmade jewelry, miniatures of steel figures inside the souvenir shop
The idea to create the gallery of steel sculptures began at the scrap yard near Warsaw, Poland. As in every amazing story, it all started with a crisis – a crisis in the scrap market. That is when, in 2011, Mariusz Jose Olejnik decided to use the material available to transform waste into something beautiful.
This unique idea later inspired the best craftsmen from all over the world, and today, the international team of GSF has over 120 artists. Each of them works at home, acquiring hundreds of thousands of steel elements directly from local markets.
Today, the collection has 600 figures that can be admired in Poland and the Czech Republic.
All the figures are exclusively hand-made: we do not use castings or heavy machinery. Although it may sound unbelievable, the basic tools are simply a welding machine, a burner, a hammer and a trimmer. Thanks to this, each of our works is one of a kind.
Opening the Gallery of Steel Figures was meant from the very beginning to create a place where contact with the art was unlimited. Where visitors will be able to touch each of the figures, get into each vehicle, and play with favoured characters. We believe that direct contact with art most effectively stimulates and broadens the imagination. Especially for those of us who are children.
But GSF is not just artistry and fun. It is also proof of how recycling and thinking about ecology can be repurposed. Proof that the problem of using resources can be faced creatively.
Part of the Gallery is also Souvenir Shop, where you can choose from a variety of magnets, T-shirts, handmade jewelry, or miniatures of steel figures.
- Entrance Ticket
- Free Wifi
Meeting point info
- Celetná 15, 110 00, Staré město
Meeting point map
Know before you go
- You can take photos and upload videos, as there is free WiFi in the Gallery
- It is allowed to touch almost all exhibits with the only exception of the hoods and wire parts of the cars
- Your visit is self-guided, so it can be as long or as brief as you would like
- Treat yourself to a delicious coffee, other hot and cold drinks, sweet desserts and savory dishes in the Café, which is a part of the Gallery
- Children must be accompanied by an adult (18+)
- *ℹ Only valid with student ID (public transport pass) or other document that proves the study (ISIC)
- Wheelchair accessible